Monday, March 06, 2006

Saranac 12 Beers of Winter

In lieu of a comprehensive post detailing the finer points of each of the 12 beers in the winter case from the Matt Brewing Company, I'll take this opportunity to detail the best and the worst of the box.
The best:








The Caramel Porter
I like apples, and I like caramel, but the two of them together in the form of the caramel-apple available at the county fair is a better treat than either of the two. I don't know how they did it, but Saranac has made a tasty treat of a beer in the form of a caramel porter. I was a little drunk when I first tasted this beer, but I could still tell that it was a very good beer. It's got the deep, full body of a porter, but the bitterness is cut with the sweet, sweet flavor of caramel. This is not a particularly sweet beer, it's just very tasty.

The worst:








The Oatmeal Stout
Stouts get their flavor from the long roasting of the malted grain and the huge amount of hops added for brewing. The bitterness is usually cut with something palatizing, like a sugar, a fruit, or, in this case, oatmeal. I've had some pretty good oatmeal stouts in my time, and this was pretty bad. The oatmeal does a poor job of compensating for the bitterness, and there's a sour, almost vinnegary flavor that pervades each swallow. All in all, a rather unpleasant beer.



Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger and Blogger Templates